Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day One - Chicago to Doha: The Miracle of Seat 18B

The journey to Kathmandu, Nepal to begin talking with our partners about the process of disaster recovery has begun. And already I can see God’s hand in this. Upon boarding the plane I made my way back to seat 40K, a window seat near the very back of the plane. Waiting for me there was a young man who asked if I would mind switching seats with him so that he could sit next to his wife on the long flight from Chicago to Doha, Qatar. I quickly consented before even seeing his ticket, well aware I could be stuck in the middle of the five seats in a center section of the jumbo jet.

God is good. The seat for which I switched was 18B. Yes, a middle seat, but located on the bulkhead with more than four feet of leg room stretched out in front of me. What an unexpected surprise from a gracious Father. But I was to soon discover that my personal comfort wasn’t what God had in mind in moving me to 18B.

Shortly after takeoff, as I was about to settle in and watch the first of what I planned would be at least three movies (with sleeping in between), the man in 18C struck up a conversation. One thing I try to avoid on long flights…or flights of any sort…is conversation. But here I was, relocated to a comfortable seat about to start a conversation with Khalid from Pakistan.

After a few brief minutes he discerned that I was Christian and announced that he was Muslim. He then asked me what I thought about Muslims. At which point I guessed the small talk was over. Over the thirteen hour flight Khalid and I talked for about four hours total, interspersed with sleeping and, yes, one movie. I talked about Jesus from the Bible and he talked about Jesus from the Quran. I read him passages from the Gospel of John and 1 Corinthians. He read me passages from the Quran. We talked about the Abrahamic roots of both faiths. We talked about what jihad really means from his perspective. He pleaded with me to explain what it looks like to follow Jesus and how to know when the Holy Spirit speaks to you. I told him I believed the Holy Spirit put he and I together. When he asked why, I told him I was sitting in a seat not assigned to me and that I don’t like to talk to people on flights. But when the Holy Spirit gives you a nudge…you go!

In the end we agreed that religion can get hijacked by vicious, selfish, sinful people and use their scriptures to sanction behaviors never really licensed by any scripture. He agreed to download YouVerse, the popular Bible app and start reading (I suggested the Gospel of John and Romans as a good starting place). I agreed to download QuranExplorer and begin reading the Quran (he suggested I start at the beginning with the Fateha).

One last note; Khalid now lives in West Lafayette, Indiana with his family. He’s less than an hour away from my home in Indianapolis. Once we both get back to the U.S. he wants to welcome me to his home to meet his family. Something I’m very much looking forward to.


We parted company and I headed to the transfer desk of Qatar Airways where Arpana helped me get set with hotel and meal vouchers for the night. Arpana is from Kathmandu and still has family there. She asked who I worked for and I told her ServLife International. She wrote it down and thanked me for going to “help her people.” Suddenly the true purpose of this trip came rushing back. But, oh, how I cherish the divine appointments God is making along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment